Monday 5 September 2011

Just like Peter Withe

Twenty-three minutes to go until I set off for the Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle, and into the care of Adam Hoad-Reddick.

I'm not sure how I'd have felt when, with twenty-three minutes to go, Peter Withe scored for Villa against Bayern Munich in the 1982 European Cup Final.  It's likely to have been a mix of nerves and excitement.  Exactly like now.  I probably wouldn't have been hungry then, though, which I very much am now.  At least I can eat after the operation, if we're looking for bright spots!

The bag's packed, the scene is set and I'm pretty much ready to roll now.  I didn't know how I'd feel, and still don't now really.  A mix of jetlag from last week's two day California trip and nerves meant I was eating Alpen at 2.30am this morning.  Wonder what culinary delights await me post-op?

One thing's for sure, though.  I'm going into hospital as someone who can never play football again and I'll be coming out as someone in rehab, in the hope of playing my next game as soon as I can.  That's got to be a great result in anybody's eyes.

Anyway, the clock's ticking.  I'll be back soon with my post-match report...

No comments:

Post a Comment